Re: Balsa 0.8.1 + IMAP

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:53:45AM +0200, Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2000-06-22 11:37 Adrian Snyman wrote:
> > I have been using pine + imap to connect to our remote server ...
> >
> > pine also defaults to rsh - which I don't use
> > we disable it in favour of ssh ..
> >
> > What are the chances to allow connections to IMAP servers via SSH ???
>
> Big :-).

actually, i been putting off doing a pop3 pre-connect patch, ie. run this
command before connecting to server. a nice command to run is ssh -L :)

> 1. on one hand you can do it by hand right now. set up ssh for port
> tunneling from localhost to the remote one, change the port number in the IMAP
> mailbox definition to the tunelled one, and you are done.

what i do now. cumbersome, bad if the servr admin doesn't like stuff like
"sleep 1day" running.

> 2. I guess you would like to use some kind of GUI to simplify things up. I
> don't know how to implement it, don't know some kind of ssh library that
> would to the port tunneling when called from program.

i was thinking just a "Run this before connecting" text box on the pop
config box.

> 3. much(?) simpler(?) method it to go for Kerberos(?) compatible methods
> like GSS. I was thinking about it but haven't gone beyond this phase,

how many servers (particularly ISP type servers) allow this ? but then
again, how many servers allow ssh ? :)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
universe." -- Carl Sagan