Re: Another Store Address Patch

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, paul lewis wrote:

> What about using a separate Gnome card file for Balsa? Balsa will by default
> look at the balsa.gcrd file and will store all addresses there. If users need to
> find balsa stored address they can open the default Balsa.grcd file from within
> Gnome card, and modify it there.
>
> There will be no problems with synchronizing the Gnome card instances and it
> is not terribly outrageous to have two address books. Is it?

At the same point, how helpful would it be if you want to pull up XYZ
contact and it's in the different address book? I think the other
suggestions have more merit (in particular, patching GnomeCard to look if
the file is locked or has been modified more recently than the copy in
memory).

> FITZSIMMONS THOMAS wrote:
>
> > Here is a patch that creates a popup window with Card Name, First Name,
> > Last Name, Organization, and Email Address fields when the user wants to
> > store an address.
> >
> > I also added a Store Address item on the message menu. The shortcut is
> > 's'.
> >
> > There are still two problems:
> >
> > 1. When the user has GnomeCard open and is storing addresses in balsa,
> > then closes GnomeCard, saving changes that GnomeCard has made will
> > overwrite the vCards stored from balsa. Does anyone know a good way of
> > checking whether GnomeCard is running? Are there any other Gnome programs
> > that check to see if another program is running?
> >
> > 2. The first time the user tries to store an address in balsa, they will
> > get an error if there is no GnomeCard.gcrd file. I think this needs to be
> > addressed in the balsa installation druid -- the installation should not
> > proceed unless there is an accessible GnomeCard.gcrd file in ~/.gnome.
> >
> > I applied the patches to the balsa-0.8.0 tarball, after applying my
> > previous patch (now in CVS). Put src-store-contact-patches in src/ and
> > libbalsa-store-contact-patches in libbalsa and run
> > patch < filename
> > for each one.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Thomas

> > *** ../balsa-0.8.0/src/balsa-index-page.c       Thu Jun  8 18:33:25 2000
> > --- ./src/balsa-index-page.c    Thu Jun  8 18:39:30 2000

I think we all got the attachment the first time. When replying, let's
please not send it out again. Thanks.

--Nathan

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688