Re: Another Store Address Patch

On  8 Jun, FITZSIMMONS THOMAS wrote:

> Here is a patch that creates a popup window with Card Name, First Name,
> Last Name, Organization, and Email Address fields when the user wants to
> store an address.

I am going to have a look at it soon!

> There are still two problems:
>
> 1. When the user has GnomeCard open and is storing addresses in balsa,
> then closes GnomeCard, saving changes that GnomeCard has made will
> overwrite the vCards stored from balsa. Does anyone know a good way of
> checking whether GnomeCard is running? Are there any other Gnome programs
> that check to see if another program is running?

Assuming that only GnomeCard and balsa can modify that file is not
really correct. I would rather patch GnomeCard and make it check if the
file it tries to write to was modified since the data was loaded. Just
store last modification date on loading and then have a look at it
again when saving (if you want to make it next to perfect, lock the
file, load up records that were not present when gnomeCard loaded data
from it, and save the whole thing again).

> 2. The first time the user tries to store an address in balsa, they will
> get an error if there is no GnomeCard.gcrd file. I think this needs to be
> addressed in the balsa installation druid -- the installation should not
> proceed unless there is an accessible GnomeCard.gcrd file in ~/.gnome.

Or rather balsa should ask for permission to create empty file (and then
proceed as usual).

/Pawel
--
Pawel Salek (pawsa@theochem.kth.se) http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/