Re: Another Store Address Patch

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, FITZSIMMONS THOMAS wrote:

> Here is a patch that creates a popup window with Card Name, First Name,
> Last Name, Organization, and Email Address fields when the user wants to
> store an address.
>
> I also added a Store Address item on the message menu. The shortcut is
> 's'.

This sounds great! I can't wait until I get my copy straightened out to
test this.

> There are still two problems:
>
> 1. When the user has GnomeCard open and is storing addresses in balsa,
> then closes GnomeCard, saving changes that GnomeCard has made will
> overwrite the vCards stored from balsa. Does anyone know a good way of
> checking whether GnomeCard is running? Are there any other Gnome programs
> that check to see if another program is running?
>
> 2. The first time the user tries to store an address in balsa, they will
> get an error if there is no GnomeCard.gcrd file. I think this needs to be
> addressed in the balsa installation druid -- the installation should not
> proceed unless there is an accessible GnomeCard.gcrd file in ~/.gnome.

A perhaps better solution would be to create a "blank" GnomeCard file if
non-existant. Thus those who do not have GnomeCard (or is that part of one
of the core GNOME packages?) would still be able to continue.

Alternatively, error but do allow user to proceed with a confirmation
box. If they confirm and then try to add to what doesn't exist and get an
error, that seems to be an acceptable situation of EUS. :) And if that's
the situation, more likely than not, upon seeing the error, they will
remember the message when they installed Balsa.

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688