Re: Alias support

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 21:02:51 Peter Williams wrote:
> > Note the cursor (represented by |) doesn't move to the end.
> > If I can, I'll highlight [derico] and/or [jj].  Contrast this with:
> > Before:
> >   fed<tab>
> > After:
> >   federico, |
> >
> > Is this good?  Is this bad?
> >

> Sounds nice, maybe a little popup would be better in some cases.
> I just noticed that XChat will cycle through names too (though
> the cursor moves to the end of the name, and it cycles through
> all names, not only the ones that match the hint you gave.)
> It's a bit annoying, but if it works as you plan it should be
> ok.

People keep asking for a popup ;)  I don't like them, but Jason
Day did it for LDAP support, so it could be done.

I'm beginning to think there are three schools to alias completion:
- The minimalist.
  Like me, they just want to type with NO interference, and when
  they hit enter, it must happen, or ignore them.
- The paranoid:
  They want to see what it will expand to while they type.
- The chooser:
  they want to see the list (in a popup) before they choose.

Its hard to satisfy all three users.

> > I've been struggling for a day now with a bad pointer received
> > from GCompletion, and I can't find it :(.  Time to sit back,
> > relax, and "man gdb".
>
> I'd assume GCompletion works pretty well... maybe you need to
> g_strdup something?

Nah, I actually added everything fine.  Then I added a GList*
entry from a completely different list, for no real reason, to the
same GCompletion.  I sat back, relaxed, came back after some rest,
and it was obvious.

--
Kind regards,
Berend

Berend De Schouwer, +27-11-712-1435, UCS