Help with GPG implementation

Hello all.

It's been a while since I last emailed this list and I just wanted to
bring you up to speed on the status of encryption in Balsa.  For those
who don't know or remember, I am a college student majoring in Computer
Science who received a grant to do a project over the summer.  My
project has been to implement an encryption system within Balsa. (I
emailed the list back on 4/24 to ask for permission).

The current status seems to be that I have chosen GPG to be the
encryption program, and I hope people will be happy with that.  I have
recently finished (I think) the functions to do the GPG interactions,
but am looking for your input as to where to implement them.  My concept
is that, when you have chosen to have security implemented (Pref
manager), when you click send, a dialogue will pop up asking all the
pertinant GPG info.  I've looked over  a bunch of the code relating to
that send button, but wanted to ask the group where they felt it would
be safe / best to call the functions to pop up the dialogue and encrypt
the message.  I basically need a place where I can both read and write
the text of the message, without breaking any other part of Balsa.

The project is moving slowly but steadily and I hope to have encryption
/ decrpytion / signatures done by the end of July / early August, when
my grant runs out.  I have plans beyond this, but these are my main
goals for now.

Anyhow, I just wanted input from the Balsa gurus before I go off and do
something stupid.  Feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns,
etc.

Peter Kimball
pkimball@hamilton.edu