Re: Your Opinions Requested

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Pawel Salek wrote:

> Personally,
>
> I prefer gnome-config format: I have impression it's more common and
> better documented. The configuration conversion is (IMHO) of secondary
> importance, balsa is still in an experimental phase and the deployment
> isn't that wide that we should worry about it, is it?

I agree with the gnome-config choice but we still can have a script made
in perl or something like to convert the old configuration file to a
gnome-config file. If balsa finds an old config asks the user if the user
wants to loose the information and continue (continuing goes to
balsa-config code and the old file is removed) or exit and run the
conversion program.

The gnome-config is not going to die with gnome2 I think people will have
an way to convert old gnome-config configs to the new GCONF config.

> /Pawel
>
> > a -- Finish up the gnome-config code, have you setup up Balsa all over
> > again. But it will be done by this weekend in all likelihood.
> >
> > b -- Tweak the engine a bit, write a libPropList backend, and bask in
> > the ultimate coolness that it would be. However, that will take three or
> > four more coding sessions, which I get in once or twice a week, tops.

                                               Bruno Pires Marinho
                                      http://camoes.rnl.ist.utl.pt/~bapm/