Re: mutt 1.3 imap stuff merge ?

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 11:59:42AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> Last I looked at the IMAP code in libmutt it was absolutely horrible
yes. but don't worry, the pop code is much worse :)

> --- infested with 'hand-coded' parsing using strchr, when in fact IMAP
yes

> generic parser.

maybe. -ENOCLUE

> Is the 1.3 code any better?

nope. it has a lot of stuff people need though

> The other thing to bear in mind is whether or not we are considering,
> as was once discussed, implementing 'camel' support. 'camel' is the
> gnome mail source backend which is behind evolution, and gives a
> consistent access to, e.g., normal folder, mh folders, IMAP folders,
> and I think NNTP (or maybe that's only planned)

Camel is a bonobo component using streams and whatnot. IMHO once balsa
starts using Camel it pretty much stops having reason to exist cause people
might as well use Evolution and have the whole shabang (since they need
evolution instaled anyway).
On the other hand, since Camel is all corba/bonobo magic if libbalsa firmly
isolates balsa from libmutt it might not be very hard to have it as an
alternate mail backend. However i (personally) don't consider this an high
priority - i rather have balsa doing local, pop3 and imap on it's own.

NNTP is overkill. There are good newsreads out there (look at pan) and i
don't believe much in the whole mail/news integration concept (ie., the pine
way).

cheers

(btw, i'm setting up a local pop3 server with apop and md5-cram to test the
merge of the mutt apop patch into libmutt. if all goes well i'll commit it
tonight)

[sig fault - no dump]