Re: Bug in 0.9.1?

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:21:11PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > BTW, should I be using threads anyway?
>
> I would like to make threads the default option for 0.9.2 and shortly
> thereafter move to removing un-threaded support entirely..

I think threaded should become the default, but I'm not so sure we should
remove unthreaded.

> I asked last week if anyone _had_ to use non-threaded, and had only one
> reply from someone who had setup his build scripts to use unthreaded
> because threaded was buggy at the time - I don't think this is the case
> anymore.

I would have responded, but I was in the middle of cram^H^H^H^Hstudying.
Personally, I use non-threaded for debugging, often it's easier to find the
bugs.

> Anyway, I think it's just to much effort to support two versions of Balsa,
> especially if it is unnecessary, and there are a lot of places in the code
> where having two options leads differences in the way the two work...
>
> Comments?

The debugging concern is not enough to keep it around, however I think we
should wait for glib 1.4 to be released before we think of removing it.  The
reasoning is that there is still not a totally uniform cross-platform thread
implementation.  GLib should have one in 1.4, however until then we might
end up causing serious problems for some people.

MBG

--
 Matthew Guenther
 mguenthe@attcanada.ca                Alimony is the high cost of leaving.