Re: deleting folders

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, cyberclay wrote:
> Hey,
>   My trash folder is now about 45 megabytes.  I would like to make a
> backup
> (like trash-april.tar.gz) and then have a new, empty trash folder.  What
> do I need to do to accomplish this?

<rant>

First off, why do you want to save 45 megabytes of trash?  Why do you need a
backup?  The trash is supposed to be where you put things you don't want
anymore, not things you might need, you put those in a folder such as "Saved".

Secondly, why do you want to remove it?  If you're going to save it as a tar.gz
anyways, then why not just leave it how it is?  If you decide you need any
email out of the tar.gz, you'll have to go backup your new trash folder,
restore the old one, get what you need out of it, then re-back it up, then
restore thew new one.  A hell of a pain.  If you have anything you want to save
in your Trash which I wouldn't recommend, why not just keep it?  My trash
empties everytime I exit so I don't have this problem.

</rant>

Lastly.  It's easy.

change to the mail directory and "tar zcf filename.tar.gz file"

-Rivyn