CVS problems

Hiya, all.

I plan to start hacking away at the balsa code, to see if I can make it
a usable mailer for me (and then maybe it'll be usable for other people
who happen to have similar needs :-)

Unfortunately, I'm failing at first base.

I can't get the CVS to build.

autogen.sh expects there to be a macros directory.

the usual autoheader/automake/autoconf incantation gives...

jules@pear% autoheader
8:42PM
jules@pear% automake
8:43PM
automake: configure.in: required file `./install-sh' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./mkinstalldirs' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
automake: Makefile.am: required file `./COPYING' not found
Makefile.am:1: required directory ./macros does not exist
Makefile.am:1: required directory ./intl does not exist
libbalsa/Makefile.am:23: @LIBOBJS@ seen but never set in `configure.in'
src/Makefile.am:54: variable `GNOME_LIBDIR' not defined
src/Makefile.am:54: variable `GNOMEGNORBA_LIBS' not defined
src/Makefile.am:54: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
jules@pear% autoconf
8:44PM
jules@pear% ./configure
8:44PM
./configure: line 528: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: line 528: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

am I out of date with old versions of the auto* toolchain?  Am I missing
gnome .m4 files?  Or is the balsa directory pear-shaped?

If the latter, can people point me in the right direction for a
work-around? - I'm a competent programmer, but I bit leery of the auto*
tools.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |