Re: New ideas for balsa

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 01:49:32AM +0100, Bruno Pires Marinho wrote:
> I have been thinking and I had this idea to rewrite balsa in a way that
> makes the program small and supporting many features. We can do this
> because a user will not use POP, IMAP, NNTP, SMTP, etc at the same time.
> We can also have many different ways to add protocols to the program.
>
> This idea is just the middle ware between the front-end and the back-end.
> We define a interface for plugins. Each plugin can handle a different
> mailbox type. For instance, one plugin can handle POP with fetchmail,
> other can handle POP with gnome-mail, other can handle local mailboxes,
> etc. We just need to define the correct interface for the plugin.
> Each plugin knows how to get mail, how to configure to get mail, how to
> search on the mailbox, how to sort the mailbox, how to filter the email
> and send it to other mailboxes.
> We can also have another type of plugins to send emails. Each plugin a
> different protocol.
> Some of the functions can be shared between the plugins through a library
> or something.

This is one of the main ideas behind the gnome-mailer project as well. You'd be
rewriting aLOT of code and then there'll have to be 2 plugins for every
protocol supported, one for Balsa and one for the gnome-mailer. IMHO your time
would be better spent helping with the gnome-mailer project to get it in
a working state and then Balsa can use gnome-mailer as a backend.

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee
 "The End is near." -- http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/7771/666.htm