Re: libfetchmail (was Re: Camel)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Mikael Hermansson wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, David Fallon wrote:
>
> > <grin>
> >
> > What's the point of making a great mail reader if there's no mail for it to
> > read? Displaying messages in folders, etc. is fairly trivial once you've got
> > the messages... finding a solid solution for dealing with the various
> > protocols is key.
>
> Many users ,like me , is getting their mail automatic at night.
> Then you "read" it offline in the morning.
> I am using pine in the moment because balsa lacks functionality and
> is to buggy...
>
> My conclusion to this is, you dont need any POP3/SMTP in the beginning.
> and we can hardworking to fixs all bugs in the reader.

I prefer POP3 retrieval, personally. I've just been using IMAP of late
for stability reasons, and when you're a long ways from the server, doing
ANYTHING is slower than molasses. I like the look of balsa, but until it
gets its POP act together, then I'm not paying too much attention.

Passing things off to SMTP (local mailer or external) should be very easy.
I think talking SMTP is the easiest of the protocols...

> When this is done we could start working to implement pop3/smtp
> as an library/bonobo object for those people who getting their mail
> manually.
>
> IMHO pop/smtp librarys should be an option if you dont want to install
> it.

Most people wouldn't understand the difference. If they're all libs, then
they could be "plugins" that could be loaded/unloaded when needed. Don't
turn off POP by default. That's a "Bad Thing" (tm).

> Greatings
>
> MikeH

--Nathan

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net