Balsa Not Dead?

Hi group,

I came to this list because I'm trying to migrate all of my home business
to Linux, trying to make Linux a desktop for me rather than just for server
functions. Unfortunately, I am lost on two areas: an e-mail client and
business finance (Quicken obviously is better than anything out there right
now).

Linux has a powerful e-mail set up going with procmail, fetchmail, etc --
far better on Windows, I have my box dial up and grab all my mail while I'm
sound asleep and I *never* wait for my mail to download. However, the
existing X11 mail clients do not very well handle multiple POP accounts,
making much of the power of procmail/fetchmail/etc useless.

The look-n-feel of Balsa is by far the best I've seen on Linux. Its
approach to looking like Eudora is pretty smart, I think. I really want to
help out on Balsa any way I can -- I do not have much experience with
C/C++, but I am a pretty good coder in your basic system administration
scripting stuff -- my profession is doing web programming, so perl, PHP3, etc.

But for anyone feeling overburdened by the web page or FAQ (which don't
seem to be updated or exist, in the FAQ's case) I would love to take over.
Eventually I would love to code and I think getting involved in the web
page & FAQ would help towards that end.

Anyone needing a 'volunteer' keep my email address around because I feel
that Linux could take over the desktop, but there a certain critical areas
that need to be fixed. A mature email client for X11 is the very first
place. I agree with whoever said it that as far as everything goes, Outlook
Express can be a better email solution than anything on Linux. This is not
acceptable obviously!

I am a total computer geek, but I also need to absolutely depend on quick
and easy access to my email. Win95 gives me this -- and after searching
through every damn X11 email client for the past month, I've determined
that Win beats Linux out -- on a *graphical* email client. I need my email
for business as many people do, and I want something clean, quick and
reliable to get the job done. I'm ready to help make Linux have that
functionality.

Alright --- this is supposed to be half motivational and half an attempt to
get involved with this project.

talk to you all later,
ryan