Re: Balsa .... kinda .
- From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik pobox com>
- To: miguel nuclecu unam mx (Miguel de Icaza)
- Cc: jgarzik pobox com, djflip home com, gnome-list gnome org, balsa-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Balsa .... kinda .
- Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:40:27 -0500 (EST)
Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Finally, the SMTP server setting is ignored, and outgoing mail is send
> > straight to /usr/sbin/sendmail (or whatever mutt decides is your local
> > MUA). This needs to be fixed too.
> I do think the SMTP option makes a lot of sense for Windows systems
> that usually lack the correct mail tools to send mail. But most Unix
> systems on use today have a proper mail setup, and all free Unix
> distributions ship with an internet ready mail setup.
> Basically, I suggest we ignore the STMP setup completely and use the
> underlying system facilities to send mail. This is another thing that
> will help system administrators deploy GNOME: they do not need to
> configure user's desktop in a per-user fashion, they just need to
> configure the system.
This is not a workable option for many Unix setups, where the admin has
disabled or not configured sendmail properly. SMTP may likewise be
required for dialup clients.
] [Thread Prev