Re: Regarding GNOME 3.0 Hackfest

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 17:22 +0530, Vaidik Kapoor wrote:
> Hi Bharat,
>

> I am Vaidik and I am a student, currently pursuing B. Tech. from
> Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida.

Great. Pass on the information to the student community as well.

> I came to know about the GNOME.Asia Summit in one of the mailing lists
> I have joined. I, further, learned about the Hackfest that is going to
> take place before the summit. There is enough information about the
> summit on gnome.org but the hackfest event Wiki doesn't seem to be
> very informative. How can students participate in the Hackfest? What
> are the costs involved? Do we need to register for the Hackfest? How
> can a newbie contribute and will there be any sessions for guiding
> them?

Regarding the hackfest, the purpose is mainly for contributors who have
been with GNOME for long and to plan the marketing and release efforts
for the upcoming 3.0 release. It might not engage a lot of things for
new contributors.

Otherwise, we are also planning to provide some GNOME training to
students or participants from March 30 to April 1, contents of training
will include:
  * Testing and Bugsquadding in GNOME
  * User Experience design in GNOME
  * Porting applications to GNOME 3
  * Writing a simple app
  * Compilation lesson for gnome 3.0, or GTK 3 hacking
We will announce the registration of the training very soon too.

You can register for the conference for now, and once we open the
student training invite, we'll invite you as well.

> I am not a contributor yet. But, I'd like to be one. I am already
> promoting the event on my blog! :)

Looks nice :) Once you register for the conference, blog about the
event. Let me know if you have any specific questions for me.

Regards,
Bharath