Subject: Re: GNOME.Asia
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:17:33 +0800
From: Emily chen <emily chen sun com>
To: "Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ)" <sankarshan randomink org>
CC: Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>, Will LaShell <will lashell net>, Alfred Peng <Alfred Peng Sun COM>

Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ) wrote:
A big hello to everyone on this mail,

I just subscribed to the mailing list, so I guess the talks will happen there.

Hi Sankarshan,

Yes, I see you have been joined this list successfully. Welcome to the GNOME.Asia committee.
Thanks for the list URL and blog link Emily - they helped :)

So, here's a quick update on what I have done in the days since Stormy
had sent in the initial mail.

- posed the potential of hosting the GNOME.Asia summit to 2 academic
institutions with a track record of holding regular events and having
an in-place events committee or the like

- as of now very informal dialogue with the following expectations:
  * they have the capacity to handle logistics
  * they have the competence to manage travel arrangements
  * they have the ability to take in around 1000 guests
  * projecting around 30 talks over 2 days (L10n, GNOME mobile,
Desktop Components, A11y etc)
  * Wireless and wired network for all
  * small bit of sightseeing stuff included
  * all targeted around Sept/Oct

That's really great that you have already think about those things in detail.
One article about organizing GUADEC is really useful for us during the first GNOME.Asia Summit. So you might be interested in reading this:
http://live.gnome.org/GuadecPlanningHowTo

That's about it. I'll keep the group informed about how stuff
progresses. I would like to know about the following:

- expectations from the GNOME.Asia summit team
  * what aspects are the responsibility + accountability of the team

First of all, I want to say you are already one member of the Summit committee.
- Work with GNOME Foundation, ask for support when necessary and report status
- provide website and mail list infrastructure
- Help to looking for sponsors
- Help to invite speakers and participants all over the world
- Transfer all the necessary documents to local organizer, like Sponsors' brochure, Proposal of the Summit, call for participants, Brochures for participants, T-shirts, and logos etc
- Others ...

- expectations from the GNOME.Asia summit hosts
  * what aspects are the responsibility + accountability of the team

- looking for local sponsors in India
- research and establish a venue,prepare information about the venue and surrounding area
- work with local vendors and distributors for promotional materials
- primary source of labor for people working at the summit for registration, as guides,  etc.
- Update the website for the new years conference
- Promote Summit in local open source community in India
- Invite both local, and global speakers
- Modify all the necessary documents based on the culture of Indian, like Sponsors' brochure, Proposal of the Summit, call for participants, Brochures for participants, T-shirts, and logos etc.
- Others...

I realize that I am asking for a strictly formal definition here, but
it will help getting the potential hosts interested if the scope of
responsibility is defined. Additionally, if we are looking at a
Sept/Oct date, it would be really nice to have a set dates/milestones
handy to keep track - can I have some help in that ?

It is good to think about milestones at the very beginning. I have talked with Will. He will draft a milestones and we will send to u later.

We are looking forward to working with you in the future.
Thanks,
Emily
Regards,
Sankarshan