Re: GNOME ASIA 2009 Update

Hello All,

Replies inline,

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 10:57 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> Hi Alolita,
[snip]
> That said, I think we should stick with the branding we've already
> created (GNOME Asia) but I'll let others weigh in. The idea is to grow
> the GNOME community and we can work the theme to try to accomplish
> that.

I 100% agree with this statement Stormy. We should not lose the foothold
we made last year.

> Stormy
[snip]

>         As you know, for the past month Sankarshan, Bob and I have
>         been
>         evaluating options and brainstorming about how GNOME Asia can
>         be
>         executed in India successfully. Here are our observations so
>         far.
>
>         The GNOME project has a very small community in Asia compared
>         Europe and the US. Therefore, we have concluded that the GNOME
>         desktop
>         as the primary theme is unlikely to provide as much buzz as we
>         would
>         like in order to maximize value to an Asian audience. In order
>         to pull
>         together a larger and more diverse participation which will
>         perceived
>         as valuable to potential sponsors, we plan to host GNOME ASIA
>         under
>         the auspices of a more broadly themed ASIA DESKTOP SUMMIT.
>         This is
>         like the GranCanaria Desktop Summit where similar messaging is
>         being
>         promoted to pull in larger and more diverse participation.

As pointed out above, we already have some branding and name recognition
with the GNOME.Asia Summit. Losing that or altering the name will just
make it harder for the Summit to grow.

>         In the Asia Desktop Summit, we plan to have three themes -
>         Desktop,
>         Web and Mobile. The desktop theme will highlight the GNOME
>         desktop.
>         GNOME ASIA will represent the desktop component of the Asia
>         Desktop
>         Summit. The other themes of web and mobile will help reinforce
>         the
>         GNOME desktop but may have non GNOME content also.

This is not an issue. We did this very same thing with the GNOME.Asia
Summit in Beijing last year. I see nothing wrong with showing off
technology which runs or interacts with GNOME as a desktop or
development platform.

>         On the logistics front, we have finalized the venue for
>         October 29-30,
>         2009. Symbiosis University in Pune has agreed to be the host
>         for the
>         conference.

Excellent. Will there be any possibility of the University donating the
rooms or giving us a price break? I have a list of questions regarding
the venue that will cover issues we hit last year. I'll send it tonight.

>         We are also in the process of setting up a local
>         organization that can handle taxation and paperwork for the
>         conference
>         since it is subject to India taxes as it is being held in
>         India. Next
>         steps include soliciting sponsorship, establishing the
>         advisory
>         committee and getting the community involved.

Well the GNOME.Asia Summit Committee exists already so I assume what you
mean is that you want to define the leaders of this years local team and
new members of the Summit Committee.

>         We believe that your participation is essential as ED of the
>         GNOME
>         Foundation and also as an open source leader who can help
>         enable
>         change in Asia.
>
>         Please let us know what your thoughts are. I look forward to
>         your
>         comments and talking with you soon.
>         With best wishes,
>         Alolita

It is great to see the enthusiasm that you are bringing to the Summit! I
look forward to all of us building an even better GNOME.Asia Summit this
year!

Sincerely,

Will LaShell