Re: Please help create/refine artworks for alternative icons

Hello,

This is not really the correct list (this list is about the
art.gnome.org website). Replying also to gnome-themes-list which should
be more appropriate.

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 14:42 +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> We have discussed about providing an alternative logo for
> marketing GNOME in some countries where the foot logo is
> considered offensive.
>
> This is to represent GNOME to new users in such countries
> in a more friendly fashion. The summary is available here:
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/FootAndCulturalIssue
>
> Some ideas have been proposed for the alternative logo:
> - gnome head
> - gnome hat
> - flower
>
> (The OK hand sign is out, as it's considered offensive in Latin
> America.)

I did not follow the discussion on gnome-i18n, but could you explain
further? Is the Foot logo considered offensive in Latin America?
I wonder whether it would be good enough to figure out where the foot is
not acceptable, and then create a secondary logo that is fine in all of
these regions.

For example the International Red Cross has accepted multiple logos and
the different countries just use the one that is more appropriate for
them.