Re: RSS Querys

On 10 Feb 2006, at 8:24 am, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

[...]

Enclosure is the standard way for publishing attachments items, people who know more about rss than me, told me that it is not recommended have more than one enclosure for item, so the preview image is something that need to be discussed. I don't think that html in description is a good idea either, because, I would need to use gecko or gtkhtml to render, with the loose of the treeview or any other standard widget features. So I'm open to suggestions.

There is one problem with enclosure, in that is limited to one enclosure per item. Backgrounds on art.gnome.org have several downloads per item, so this wouldn't be possible in RSS. It looks like with Atom's <link> element, this might be possible. Would be possible for your app to read an Atom feed instead?

Does anyone know more about Atom, and it's possible advantages or limitations?

So, I'm asking for some kind of rss-on-demand script to get the lastest [App Themes|Wallpapers|MCity Themes|...], or the popular ones, etc... something like this:

http://art.gnome.org/rssapi.php? class=wallpaper&sort=lastest&count=10&resolution=1600x1200

In order to generate an rss which has the lastest 10 1600x1200's wallpapers.

Of course, resolution thing wouldn't be needed for gtk themes for example.

Right now I'm generating the rss with the scrapper, so if the webmaster[s] can write something like this I'd be very happy so I can spent more time developing the other prototypes (metacity, gtk...) and less time with the scrapper.

Suggestion, comments and patches are welcome.

I had some notes on a standard 'api' we might be able to implement. I'll dig them up so you can give some feed back.

I think we need the following parameters:

type = theme or background
category = sub category of theme or background (e.g. splash screen, or abstract backgrounds)
resolution = background specific resolution field
count = number of rows to return
order = descending or ascending
sort = date, name, rating, popularity

I think that would cover anything you might need.

-Thomas