Re: RSS Querys

On 8 Feb 2006, at 7:59 am, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've spent this weekend writing a scrapper of the Wallpaper request on art.gnome.org to build an rss with the wallpapers as <enclosure .../>, the same tag that podcasts uses for the mp3/ogg/whatever, which is the standard tag for multimedia attachments on items, an example of the generated rss can be found here:

http://synaptia.net/~arc/rss.xml

I've also developed a prototype application written in python that downloads the rss it parses (with pilgrim's feedparser.py) and show you a list of the wallpapers, the aplication SyBGFeed and the scrapper SyArtGnomeRSSize can be found here:

http://synaptia.net/~arc/syartgnomerssize-0.0.1.tar.gz
http://synaptia.net/~arc/sybgfeed-0.0.1.tar.gz

The idea behind all this, is to enable, from art.gnome.org (and then try to standarize it to see it on gnome-look.org and others sites) some kind of rss standarization for theming stuff.

The enclosure tag looks like a good idea to me if it means we can drop the html from our rss feed. Do most rss readers support the tag and display it in an item? How could we deal with preview images?

So, I'm asking for some kind of rss-on-demand script to get the lastest [App Themes|Wallpapers|MCity Themes|...], or the popular ones, etc... something like this:

http://art.gnome.org/rssapi.php? class=wallpaper&sort=lastest&count=10&resolution=1600x1200

In order to generate an rss which has the lastest 10 1600x1200's wallpapers.

Of course, resolution thing wouldn't be needed for gtk themes for example.

Right now I'm generating the rss with the scrapper, so if the webmaster[s] can write something like this I'd be very happy so I can spent more time developing the other prototypes (metacity, gtk...) and less time with the scrapper.

Suggestion, comments and patches are welcome.

I had some notes on a standard 'api' we might be able to implement. I'll dig them up so you can give some feed back.

-Thomas