Re: license for art's engine

On 14 Oct 2005, at 9:59 am, Ferenc Szekely wrote:

Hello Thomas,

I am Ferenc Szekely from the maemo team. We have been thinking to
install the engine of art.gnome.org and provide an easy to access
service for background uploads (the 1st phase).

I browsed thru the code I got from your CVS, but could not find an
explicit license file or any indication about terms that we should agree
to in order to re-use your software. Unfortunately our hands are tight
and we need to clarify these terms before we can put anything to maemo.org.

Would it be possible to attach some license file to the code? Or who
could give us some "permission" in written?

This is an important point, and if everyone who has contributed agrees, I'd like to use the GPL for this. I'm open to suggestions on more appropriate licenses however, as I know the GPL isn't always relevant to PHP or web based projects (i.e. where the code isn't compiled, or only services are provided).

Also, now that art.ubuntu.com is using the artweb code, it would be nice to get their feedback before we change the license. :-)

I am looking forward hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Ferenc