Re: What about WordPress or something similar?

Stefan Rotsch wrote:
Thomas Wood wrote:

- Migration: How easy would it be to migrate the existing users, data, files, screenshots and the rest to a CMS? I think this would be especially hard for users, since I can't see anyway that passwords could be transferred (unless the new CMS supports exactly the same method for storing passwords as art-web currently does).

I know this would be the most difficult task. But a decision should be based on the benefits of a CMS vs. the difficulty of migration.

- Features: We would still have to do a lot of work to implement the plugins needed to handle art-web specific data and pages. There is a lot more metadata associated with backgrounds and themes than is obvious. Also, themes and backgrounds are not handled the same way as you might expect (backgrounds have many more requirements than themes). A third type of item may also appear soon, in the form of collections of other items.

I must admit I haven't taken a look at the a.g.o. sources yet.

The sources are available in the art-web module of GNOME cvs. When looking though, you may notice a lot of the code has been worked on by different people at different times, and so has adopted slightly different approaches and styles. There is certainly a lot of cleaning up that could be done, but it is getting better. I think we are moving in the right direction at the moment, and it won't be long before it will be a lot more manageable.

- Control: If you move to a CMS you loose control of your source code to a certain extent. I don't particularly have any motivation to read and learn another CMS's source code just to make some minor (but possibly vital) changes. There are several people already familiar with the bulk of the art-web code, and it is probably much easier to get to grips with due to it's (relative) small size.

That's true for sure. On the other hand, what would you want to edit if thinks work well and bugs get fixed by the community; you simply would have to install a new version of the CMS?!?

I've never found it easy to upgrade a wiki or CMS on a site. There are always difficulties with getting your previous configuration running again, so you need to make sure you have a recent backup and so on. The task is not a trivial one and unless you're really motivated it's likely to just be put off until it's critical.

There are also factors out of our control, such as restrictions placed on us by the gnome.org system policies and procedures (this is the reason it has not been possible to implement a file upload system until recently).

ACK.

Not to mention the time and effort people have put in to coding art-web. It would be a shame to throw this all away, so I personally would not like to see art-web replaced with an external CMS.

That's an issue, too. But it is also about weighting the benefits of a CMS against telling people 'their' code won't be used anymore.

I hope you get me right: I don't want to "sell" a CMS to you. But when looking at the tasks on the ToDo list, from my point of view it would be an option to think about the migration to an CMS, instaead of iplementing that bunch of features on our own.

Independant of deciding which way to go, I just want you to know I'm willing to help working on a.g.o.

I agree that when looking at it abstractly, using an existing CMS solution seem the logical thing to do. However, there is legacy and political issues to consider, and I think as it stands there would actually be more work involved in implementing and maintaining a new CMS than gradually enhancing the existing one. Not to mention I occasionally find hacking on art-web fun, and use it to extend my knowledge of web development ;-)

However, I'm really glad for your input and I'm excited to see more people voicing opinions and showing an interest in art-web. What's to say we couldn't make a top quality community art site out of art-web, with a code base to rival the best CMSs out there already!

-Thomas