Re: [anjuta-list] Anjuta on Ubuntu 10.04, and some general use questions

Hi!

> I'm evaluating Anjuta as a possible IDE to use on Linux and want to
> figure out whether it has any show-stopper limitations. I'm using Ubuntu
> 10.04 LTS. Is there any reasonable way to compile/run the latest version
> of Anjuta? Currently I'm using 2.30.1.0 and have not figured out how to
> do the following things:

This is a rather old version. You can get anjuta 3.0.3 from the gnome3 ppa
as described in [1] but you I guess need minimum Ubuntu 11.04 for it.

> I tried making a new project, generic (minimal). Then I choose
> Run->Execute and it says the executable doesn't exist. So I choose Build
> Project and it does so without error, but Run->Execute still fails with
> the same error. I tried Build (hello), same. Apparently it's expecting
> the executable in the Debug directory, but that hasn't even been
> created. I do see a hello executable in the top-level project directory.
> I'm puzzled as to this inconsistency. I had to go into Run->Program
> Parameters to set its path properly, then execution works.

Might be a bug but is also very likely fixed in a later version.

> Once I have the program running in the built-in terminal, it says I have
> to press a key to exit the program. If I try to run the program again, I
> get a dialog telling me that the previous execution hasn't finished. How
> can I have it just run the program in the terminal, without printing
> anything extra after it exits and requiring that I press a key? I don't
> see any options for the Terminal plugin for this.

There is no option for this.

> With the above project, with the Debug build selected, when I choose
> Debug Program, it asks Are you sure you want to debug a program not
> using the Debug configuration? Why is it saying it's not the debug
> configuration? Then it gives an error in the terminal before the
> debugger stops at my breakpoint: &"warning: GDB: Failed to set
> controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n" Is there any way to
> hide this error message, so I can just see my program's output?

This error message shouldn't appear. Actually the detection of the debug
configuration can be a bit weak. Sébastien?

> Can it be used to edit bare-bones projects, not ones with dozens of
> configuration files as are created with a new project? When working on
> projects, I often work on small research programs to try out a
> particular idea in isolation, thus the bloat of all that isn't workable.
> Ideally, there would be nothing besides a couple of source files, and a
> single project file, with Anjuta compiling and linking as necessary.

Anjuta is project based. You can compile single files but you will have to
write your own Makefiles then as anjuta more or less only operates on
automake projects.

> Is there a single command I can issue that will save all currently open
> source files, rebuild the executable, then run it? The same, but run
> under the debugger? Likewise, and in the terminal plugin in Anjuta's
> window? I want to be able to make changes to some source files, then
> issue a single keyboard command to have it recompiled, rebuilt, and
> executed. It's the IDE's job to initiate each of these steps in order.

Run->Run or Run->Debug should do exactly that. At least they do it in more
recent versions.

> Is it possible to have more than one text file visible at the same time?
> For example, editing a source file with a header file open to the left
> of it as reference?

No.

> Is it possible to customize the behavior of the home/end/page up/page
> down keys? Specifically, I want them to scroll the document without
> affecting the insertion point, as they do in a web browser for example.
> I couldn't find these in the key bindings list.

No, don't think this is possible with the GtkSourceView widget. The
behaviour of "home" and "end" changed a bit in recent version to go to the
first/last non-whitespace character on first keypress.

> Is it possible for a triple-click to select the entire line, including
> newline, so that cutting it won't leave a blank line?

Double click should do that AFAIK, but maybe it doesn't select the
newline. If not, you should file a bug against gtksourceview.

> How can color schemes be customized?

Yes, see the editor preferences, there are a couple of predefined themes.
You can create your own color schemes, they are just xml files IIRC, see
[2].

> Is there any way to configure the smart indent to merely tab the next
> line the same as the current one, nothing more? It seems to add extra
> tabs sometimes, like when hitting return after a {, which is annoying.

You can configure the amount of indentation added after { or other
statements in the preferences (C/C++/Java/Vala).

[1] http://live.gnome.org/DeveloperTools/Installation/Ubuntu
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/gtksourceview/stable/style-reference.html