[Anjuta-list] Basic problems with Anjuta

I am trying to learn Anjuta but I am having some basic problems.

First this is version 2.4.2 running on a fully up-to-date Fedora 9 x86_64 system. I know that this isn't the latest version of Anjuta but it is the most up-to-date version available that is packaged for F9.

OK, so I start Anjuta and create a new GTK+ project. The druid does his thing and creates a minimal program. Great. Now let's compile the program and step through it. Compiling works fine but here is the first problem.
The User's Manual, para 5.1.1 says "Choose the menu item Debug->Run Target..." but there is no Debug menu item. After some investigation, I found that if I go to Edit->Preferences select the Installed plugins tab and select the Debugger Manager plugin, then Debug becomes an option in the menu. Shouldn't the User Manual mention this?
I was also having a problem that when I closed Anjuta and then re-opened it, the Debug option disappeared and I would have to repeat the process. I have now found that this does not always happen but I cannot find any pattern or specific reason for what causes this. More on this later as this is not the only issue that appears and disappears.

So I select Debug->Run Target, select "Run in terminal" and "stop at the beginning". main.c opens (after selecting an editor) highlighs the get_set_locale() line with a yellow arrow next to a bolded line number (52) in the margin. I hit F5 to step into the function but we step over the function to the gtk_init line. The highlighting, arrow and bolding step down one line. Presumably, we do not step into gtk_set_locale() because Anjuta doesn't know where to find the source file? No advisory messages?

Now we get to the main problem. I hit F5 again and the app window appears, the yellow arrow and highlighting dissappear and the bolding moves to line 50, ie up 3 lines to a blank line. I read a couple of days ago that someone else was having problems where the debugger was not following the source code because of optimization. I looked in the Makefiles and changed -O2 to -O0, rebuilt and tried again but I get the same problems.

I've tried this exercise several times and sometimes the yellow arrow and highlighting don't appear at all. The one thing that does alwasy happen is that the debugger does not stop when stepping into the gtk_init line. It appears to run on into the gtk_main loop.

Am I missing some vital step here? Do I have something mis-configured?

Thanks,
Steve.