From: Malcolm Lalkaka <mlalkaka gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Anjuta-list] Project directory structure
To: "Sébastien Granjoux" <seb sfo free fr>
Cc: anjuta-list lists sourceforge net
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 7:55 PM

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 21:55 +0100, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:
> > I reuse code a lot.
> > In Windows Visual Studio, I can set up a structure like this:
> > Source/Common - contains the common reused code
> > Source/Projectname - contains code for the specific project
> > Where "Source" is the root of all my projects.
> > I can't seem to find any mention in the doc for this kind of
> structure.
> > Is it possible?
>
> I don't think it's possible.
>
> The project file should be in the same directory than Source with some
> mandatory files with fixed names like configure.ac and so on.
>
> I think the best way to do this, is to make a library with common code
> and use it in different project.

Yes, the best way to do this would be to make a library. Ideally,
though, a library should have some sort of logical coherence; and the
way you describe it, I'm assuming your Common directory is just bits and
piece of random but useful code.)

If you don't want to go through the trouble of actually building a
library out of Common, and you're just using this for personal projects,
another thing you can try is using symbolic links from your project
directories into the common directory. However, this is not a good
solution if you intend on distributing your project.

In general, referencing files from another project like you are
intending to do can cause problems in the long run, regardless of what
IDE you use. This is because if you change the functionality of classes,
functions, etc, under the Common directory to suit the purposes of the
project you're currently working on, it will also affect -- and possibly
break -- the other projects.

I absolute best solution for this kind of thing is using a source
control system that supports branching well, like Subversion (SVN).