Re: [Anjuta-list] "Supports" greyed out

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 10:13 +0100, Dennis Möhlmann wrote:

> Uhm, no. You can double click them with no project open, but not with an
> open project.
> Without an open project, what kind of change would you expect from a
> "supports" setting?
>
> Anyway, maybe a coredev could comment on this. I do not think I am wrong
> here, but I certainly would not mind if I were.

I would expect it to do exactly what it does, for example if you are
editing a .c file that has #include <gtk/gtk.h>, you need to tell the
compiler where to find the headers.

check here:
http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=anjuta%2Fsrc%2FAttic/compiler_options.c&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome#348

What it does in populate_supports() is add supports for everything
contained in the output of "pkg-config --list-all".  So if you activate
support for gtk+-2.0, and you are editing a file called gtk-main.c, when
you press F9 or click the compile button, it will execute:

gcc `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` -c "gtk-main.c" -o "gtk-main.o"

instead of :

gcc -c "gtk-main.c" -o "gtk-main.o"

There are various other supports, like for gtk 1.x apps, "gtk-config
--cflags" is used rather than pkg-config which was the proper method
before the pkg-config script came along to unify the various -config
scripts.

Hopefully some day this will be extended to be used within projects so
configure.ac or whatever will automagically contain a
PKG_CHECK_MODULES() macro to test for the library and adjust CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS accordingly.  At least I believe thats the intention anyway.

I see all this code has been moved to the plugins directory now, so it
there is some big re-organization going on right now in Anjuta.

I think I'm just rambling now, so I'll just leave it at that and shut
up.  ;)

--
Curtis Magyar