Re: [Anjuta-list] Executables

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 14:15, Robert Hastings wrote:
> I tried compiling a simple hello program in C++ but Anjuta isn't
> creating an executable file. I've tried the compile and build options
> and I get a message in the lower window saying "Compiling file:
> main.cc..." The next line shows
>
> g++  -Wall -O1 -g -c "main.cc" -o "main.o"
>
> This is all the output that I get. Is G++ getting hung up somewhere?
> I've tried compiling this manually from a command shell and it does
> generate an object file.

The -c flag to g++ tells it to stop before the linking is done, so all
you get is a compiled .o file.  That is desirable when you have multiple
.o's that make up your final executable.  From your terminal you could
link it with the command:

g++ main.o -o main

And you will end up with an executable called 'main'.

I located a small intro to gcc that explains this better I think.
http://galton.uchicago.edu/~gosset/Compdocs/gcc.html

Hope this helps.