Re: [Anjuta-list] Usability [Was: question]

On 2002.06.03 06:08 Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:

Naba wrote:

> I think we need to do some sort of USABILITY testing/survey.

Exactly - as I said a week or two back

And I said, ooooh, around the time of the 0.1.9 release, actually. Still, at least we've actually begun to reorganise the menus and have even mentioned changing the preferences.
It seems that some of our best features are hidden
away behind obscure menu items, context menus and badly worded
text :-(

Well, make some suggestions. One of my ongoing tasks is to improve the menu items and message strings to make them more friendly.

1) People get confused when the windows are undocked by
default. A simple solution would be to make docked windows
the default.

Agreed.

2) The text 'Dock/Undock' makes little sense to most people.
Solution: Make it 'Dock Window' when the window is undocked
and 'Undock Window' when the window is docked.

This involves some detection code but I think it is an excellent idea as well.

1) The 'Detach Current Document' is difficult to find since it
makes no sense under the Format menu (in fact, the whole
'Format'menu makes little sense to me but that's a different issue).
It should be in the 'View' menu and/or have a context menu
option for the document between 'Find Usage' and 'Close'.

Well now, that is one of the changes in my bunch of patches - at least, to change the message text for the Detach Current Document item, if not to move it. Ah no actually I just did that recently, but I need to update it again.

Apart from that one being out of place, I actually think the rest of the Format menu is fine now.

2) The CVS menu has no context in the File Manager window.
The first seven options in the CVS menu should be available
(and activated/deactivated accordingly) in the file browser

As a submenu of the context menu probably.

Also, people expect the version number to be
shown after the file name in the file browser if CVS is
activated.

Nice idea. Have a go at it! :-)

3) People get confused between the 'Edit' and 'View' options in
the project and file browsers. They should be made more explicit, like 'View in Gedit..'. This would mean creating the context menus
dynamically, but we can live with that I think.

Agreed. I really hate the way it is at the moment.

5) Virtually nobody knows how easy it is to change the
accelerator key for a menu item (by focussing on the menu
item and pressing the key combination you want). This
information should be easily accessible.

It's a GNOME feature of course - so GNOME's ease-of-use isn't obvious enough :-)

Maybe, we can have a menu option 'Customize key bindings',
which will simply popup a dialog and tell the user to do this ?

Very nice idea, it's quick and simple.

6) Anyone using the bookmark menu ? People are thoroughly
confused about it (including me). What is it supposed to do ?

This is a feature inherited from Scintilla IIRC.

Another option is to open a meta bug in SF 'Anjuta Usability'
which can double as a discussion forum as well ?

I'll look at doing this in the next day or so.

Also, is there any opposition to a 'Tip for the day' feature.
It's MSism for sure, an I personally always disable it

I'm in two minds about it. Apps such as KDevelop and Gimp have it. I don't think we need to worry about it when we have thirty open bugs and Anjuta1 is at the end of its life.

Andy

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
andy piper freeuk com