Re: [anjuta-devel] The next big thing: libclang

Hi,

2011/9/7 Sébastien Granjoux <seb sfo free fr>:

Le 07/09/2011 11:30, Johannes Schmid a écrit :

This is mainly a heads-up for everyone waiting for code-analysis or better
error reporting in anjuta. The clang developers created libclang which
gives us access to all kind of compiler internals we are usually
interested in:
http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/group__CINDEX.html
Take a look, try it out, maybe that could be the next big thing we
implement in anjuta!

That is an interesting idea and definitely cool to have. As I read
about clang now, it looks like it would completely replace ctags for
the c/c++ symbols indexing, and involve heavy interaction with project
manager and editor to take full advantage. nacho in irc mentioned they
are considering to do something similar for gedit and would be
interested to collaborate.

Also as I understood, clang can be used as compiler replacing gcc with
little adverse effect, but with advantage of informative and more
parsable messages. This could be an easy starting point.

Ok, I have heard about cocinelle (http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/) too that could
be interesting. I have checked if it's similar or not.

From the description it looks like it's a bit different. cocinelle
seems to "fix" the code by performing "collateral evolution" -
according to their site, meaning adapting the code to new changed
APIs. If this works well, it can actually reduce maintenance burden on
many plugins/modules based projects (including Anjuta itself, for
example). Currently, it seems to be focused on linux kernel, so I
don't know if it's usable for other projects. Nevertheless, very
interesting and definitely worth having a plugin for Anjuta.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba