Re: [anjuta-devel] GSoC: Anjuta as an AVR development environment

Hi Lucas,

I'm working on microcontrollers too so I know what it is even if I have never use them.

I would probably give a bit higher priority than Johannes to make this working in Anjuta. We have such requests from time to time and get a recent one (the bug 645081) to use a ARM microcontroller.

In order to implement this, you need to create a new plugin implementing the IAnjutaEnvironment interface which allow you to override the basic commands (compile file, start debugger...) from Anjuta. Then, you have to create a project-wizard template loading this plugin which is the easy part.

But, I see two issues with such project.

It's difficult to test without any real hardware, it would be really useful if a free CPU simulator that can be used with gdb is available. So only the JTAG part will really need some hardware.

The project manager uses autotools and I'm not sure it's really usable for an AVR project. We have a makefile project backend but it's quite primitive.

Normally, the remote debugging is already implemented but I have never test it. Then, I don't know if we need to adapt the interface to each micro or gdb will already output everything needed. I think about the disassemble view and the register view.

I don't think it's too short for 3 months, especially as you don't seem to have much experience in C. It's not that difficult but it takes time. Perhaps it's possible to write such plugin in Python but I don't know if the bindings are good enough.