Re: [anjuta-devel] GSoC: Anjuta as an AVR development environment

Hi Lucas,

On 3/30/11, Lucas van Dijk <info return1 net> wrote:

I have extended the short description a bit. :)

Great :)

Well, I thought it was necessary to write a new plugin as Sebastien
mentioned it, but avr-gdb is as far as I know fully compatible with the
normal gdb. simulavr is indeed a local gdb server, the default port is 1212,
but it would be nice to start simulavr automatically when the user wants to
start debugging, preferably with configurable hostname and port (per
project)? And start avarice instead of simulavr when the 'on chip debugging'
option is checked in project creation wizard (but it would be very handy if
this could be changed when the project already exists).

Okay. Yes, it would be more usable if the gdb servers can be
started/ended as debugging is started/ended on Anjuta side.

What do you exactly mean with a diagram? A sort of top down sketch of the
selected chip, and show the pin status? That would be cool indeed, but there
are a lot of AVR's with a lot of different pinouts, so it's a lot of work to
support them all.

My initial idea was a treeview like in AVR studio:
http://nahians-avr.webs.com/AVRStudioInit.gif (window 'I/O View')

I meant precisely that. But I also understand there are many of them.
It was a cool idea, but not necessarily a feasible one. So, a
list/tree view is fine.

The editor keywords extending part I think requires some
investigation. Last I remember gtksourceview didn't have that feature.
It may be possible now, though.

I can add an extra symbol DB right?

Uhm, I guess that depends on what you mean by "keywords". If these are
language keywords that you would want to get highlighted differently
in editor, that's where I mean gtksourceview may not have that
support.

But if you mean keywords as in C API specifically used in AVR
development that you want to be available for symbols
assistance/completion, then yes, it would be akin to putting them in
symbol-db. However, how to put is a matter of investigation. If it's
available as a library, then symbol-db can scan it similar to other
libs. But if it is some kind of "in build" in the compiler, then that
would require something new in symbol-db to be added. This can very
much be part of your initial analysis phase in the project.

Well, I'm not planning to do a lot on ARM's, as I have almost no experience
with them yet. But it seems a lot of the functionality I was planning to
create, already exists in Anjuta (just needs to be tested if it works with
avr-gdb too), I could make some nice tools which makes development easier,
like an USART terminal for serial communication testing, or a graph which
plots the status of specific pins against the time.

ARM use is not important for your project, I fully agree. Indeed
having USART comm terminal (I think it may be done with the existing
terminal plugin) and the pins graph would be awesome.

That's a good idea, I will mention it. :)

Good.

I saw you updated proposal and it's looking good. Let's see how it progresses.

Regards,
-Naba