[xslt] Sometimes plain text output from cron

I have a weird problem that cropped up over the weekend. I generate some HTML from stylesheets and on Saturday for undetermined reasons the stylesheet (which is driven by cron) began generating the plain text of the input document instead of the transformed markup.

Content that shouldn't be present at all because the stylesheet drops it out is present, and all markup is missing.

Weirder yet, I have not been able to reproduce the problem when using the command line xsltproc. It only occurs when driven by cron, and then not always (though I need to check that).

Weirder still, everything was working fine until Saturday when the problem mysteriously appeared. I have not changed anything.

Does this sound at all familiar? Any ideas? If it's relevant the sites from which the source document is pulled are sometimes slow to respond, but in the past that's always been an error, not borked output.

% xsltproc -version
Using libxml 20622, libxslt 10115 and libexslt 812
xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20622, libxslt 10115 and libexslt 812
libxslt 10115 was compiled against libxml 20622
libexslt 812 was compiled against libxml 20622

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
erharold gmail com