[xslt] xsltproc: endless loop with 'element include: XInclude error : bla contains invalid char'

Hi,

I'm processing a large set of text-files inside an XML document using
xi:include. Now it seems, that one file is "broken" and during
processing of the xinclude of this file, I now get an endless loop of

[..]
> tmp_kde-mimelnk-mime.xml:123: element include: XInclude error : /usr/share/mimelnk/application/smil.desktop contains invalid char
> tmp_kde-mimelnk-mime.xml:123: element include: XInclude error : /usr/share/mimelnk/application/smil.desktop contains invalid char
> tmp_kde-mimelnk-mime.xml:123: element include: XInclude error : /usr/share/mimelnk/application/smil.desktop contains invalid char
[..]

I even tried an xi:fallback:

>   <desktop-entry>
>     <xi:include href="/usr/share/mimelnk/application/smil.desktop" parse="text">
>       <xi:fallback/>
>     </xi:include>
>   </desktop-entry>

but nothing changed. xsltproc still "hangs" in the loop. Am I doing
something wrong? Shouldn't xsltproc simply stop processing of this
xinclude (if no fallback is specified) and try the xi:fallback, if any
specified?

Regards, Daniel