[xml] Parse XML file with generated entities

All,

I have a system that needs to provide custom ENTITY definitions (like &USER_POS; and &LABEL;) to an XML file.  I'd like to use the xmlAddDocEntity() function but I need to figure out how to insert these calls into the normal parsing framework.  All the parsing functions seem to create an xmlDoc as an output of the parse process and I need to be able to create an empty xmlDoc, insert the entities, and then parse the XML file (or memory, whatever).

Can someone point me to the API functions that would be best to use?  In the past I've just hacked around but it was extremely non-upgradable and I'd like to do it right this time around.  None of the examples seem to show me the flow I'm looking for.

--carl