[xml] Determining the correct start and end position of a tag

Hi all,

I'm in the process of developing an XML plugin for Geany, a
lightweight Linux IDE. Part of the plugin is a custom GTK Tree Model
which displays the parsed tree of a document without having to load
every row into the tree view. I'm pretty happy with that part and it
all seems to be working rather well. Not content with that, I've been
working on enhancing the plugin in order to give Geany some of the
same features that you find in commercial XML editing software such as
XPath searching and XSL transformations. Again, so far, so good.

Where I've really come to grief is in trying to tie the model and the
Scintilla editor widget together. I am trying to implement a feature
which lets the user click on a row in the tree view and have the
cursor go to that position and vice versa. In order to do this I
needed to determine the start and end position of each tag and compare
it to the position returned from the mouse click in the editor window.

I was able to get the start and end position for each node in the tree
by first creating a Parser Context with xmlCreateURLParserCtxt and
then passing that to xmlParseDocument. I then copy the
xmlParserNodeInfoSeq node_seq from the Parser Context into a linked
list to enable a binary search for the position returned by the
Scintilla edit. So far so good. I load a document, click on the editor
and it moves the list view selection to the right node. Huzzah!
Overcome by my mastery of C and libxml I continue testing only to find
that I get unexpected results with

--
Chris Daley

e: chebizarro gmail com
m: +61 437 031 214
s: chebizarro
tw: chebizarro
"There is no way to peace — peace is the way" - A.J. Muste