[xml] Suggesting something like malloc_trim after freeing

Hello,

we had the problem, that an embedded system ran out of memory after
parsing a huge XML-file. The problem was, that most of the memory was
only returned to the kernel after the process was terminated. When I
searched the xmlsoft-site, I found people having similar problems,
only a solution could not be provided (Example:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2005-March/msg00022.html )

Of course, there is NO memory leak and references to OS memory
management are correct. Still, there is a way (at least with glibc) to
enforce giving back the memory: malloc_trim

I am very sceptical if this functions is portable enough to be used
within libxml2. Still, I would suggest mentioning it in the docs
("Memory management"?), as this might point users into the right
direction. A paragraph could look like this:

===

Returning memory to the kernel

You may encounter that your process using libxml2 does not have a
reduced memory usage although you freed the tree. This is because
libxml2 allocates memory in a number of small chunks. When freeing one
of those chunks, the OS may decide that giving this little memory back
to the kernel will cause too much overhead and delay the operation. As
all chunks are this small, they get actually freed but not returned to
the kernel. On systems using glibc, there is a function call
"malloc_trim" from malloc.h which does this missing operation (note that
it is allowed to fail). Thus, after freeing your tree you may simply try
"malloc_trim(0);" to really get the memory back. If your OS does not
provide malloc_trim, try searching for a similar function.

===

I would hope this saves other people the debug session which I had ;)

Bye,

   Wolfram

--
  Dipl.-Ing. Wolfram Sang | http://www.pengutronix.de