Re: [xml] Adding a build/configure *option* to use ICU converters

On 26/09/2007, at 18:33, Daniel Veillard wrote:

I don't see why your patch shouldn't be applied and yes adding the option on configure would be sensible (as long as it's off by default). Also I would really prefer if Unixes didn't switched it on when distributed as part of
the OS to maintain a predictable behaviour on all similar platforms.

I'm not sure I understand this argument. Other than the character sets supported by the library, there should be zero difference between functionality when using ICU or iconv. The character sets available to iconv appears to be very platform-dependent as well. A comparison of two Debian machines I have at hand shows that one has over 1150 encoding aliases available to iconv, while the other only has 950. On two Macs that I have in front of me running different versions of Mac OS X, one has 460 and the other 400.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? I'm not advocating that ICU be the default, I'm just curious why you feel vendors should not use it if it is present.

Thanks,

Mark Rowe