[xml] XML and Unicode Determination

When using the DOM or text reader parsers I would like to know when they
have found the first unicode character not in the ASCII range.  Is there
any way to do so other than to use the internal function 'UTF8Toascii'
on every xmlChar string I see?

I though about querying the parser about encoding but I think I see that
that isn't available unless a specific encoding statement is found.

So a "plain" ASCII file, with no explicit encoding, looks the same as
any other UTF8 file until the first non-ASCII character is found.

Some kind of parser context boolean flagging the first such find might
do the trick.

Thanks.

-Tom Browder