Re: [xml] lazy libxml

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:56:27AM +0100, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
"Oleg A. Paraschenko" <olpa xmlhack ru> writes:

Hello Nic,

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:50:42 +0100
Nic James Ferrier <nferrier tapsellferrier co uk> wrote:

I want a lazy implementation of libxml for my XRT project.

I am collecting my thoughts on how to build lazyness into libxml2.

I'm not a libxml developer, but I think that it's just impossible.

Nothing is impossible.

I still think this would be a nice idea... I don't even think it would
be that hard to implement. What would be hard is maintaining the
separate tree with the lazy patches in until Daniel was convinced
/8->

  Well if it was one simple isolated change I would be more optimistic,
what I'm afraid of is that it would impact an awful lot of code, basically
each time a descent in the tree is needed, and that doesn't sound good:

paphio:~/XML -> grep -- '->children' *.c | wc -l
699
paphio:~/XML -> grep -- '->last' *.c | wc -l
233
paphio:~/XML ->

However, I am pursuing the idea of directly expressed lazyness managed
by the dyn:evaluate function, eg:

  <xsl:variable name="x" select="'functioncall()'"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="dyn:evaluate($x)"/>

I'm pretty sure I can achieve what I want with only this.

  At that level this might be easier, but I'm afraid it would then impact the
XSLT/XPath model, that's already quite complex.

Daniel