[xml] libxml2 newbie

Hello,

hope u don't mine by seeing this question..
I am new to this lbxml tecnology...and i want to lear what it is? and how to use? I needed to implement some project regarding DVB-IP.  i have gone through the www.libxml.org but i am not able to understand what i find in the website..
so what i would like to ask is

1.Is it necessary to learn XML befor going to libxml2?
2. Where i can find the books or some text to learn?
3. I want the full details what  it does and where?

hope u don't disappont me... i know its stupid to ask here...

thanq
hope to hear from u..
BR
Chandu