Re: [xml] Thousands of elfgcchack.h warnings (libxml2)

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 06:25:17PM +0000, Mike Richards wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:28:37 +0000, Mike Richards <mrmikerich gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:55:42 -0500, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> wrote:

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 03:43:23PM +0000, Mike Richards wrote:
elfgcchack.h:59: warning: `visibility' attribute directive ignored
[...]
Now, aside from the insane amount of warnings, the build appears to go
fine and there are no errors. But what on earth is going on here? Is
this something to be concerned about? If the warnings are harmless, is
there any way to suppress them?

FWIW, the system is linux, kernel 2.4.26, gcc 3.2.3, and glibc 2.2.5.

  Optimization, for gcc. Where does your gcc 3.2.3 comes from ? It seems
to not recognize some construct that gcc 3.2 ought to recognize !

Direct from gnu.org -- compiled it myself.

I can give you more info if you want it, but if there is not an
obvious solution to the problem, for now can you at least let me know
if the warnings are harmless or not. (I want to upgrade from 2.6.10 ->
2.6.16, but not if it would be bad.)

  that should be harmless as I said it's an optimization. If you feel
strongly enough about handling things by yourself that you end up recompiling
gcc, well you should be able to decipher whether the lack of the aliasing
feature is gonna generate wrong code. I doubt it, but see I don't recompile
gcc myself (anymore), I don't know what gcc generate in that case, you should
look at the generated assembly code to see if it generated ELF symbol
based function lookup or called directly the alias function.

Also, if you want me to do any kind of debugging I will, but I
wouldn't know where to start on my own.

  try make tests and look for obvious failures, but if the programs
like xmllint runs the code is probably fine, though possibly not optimal.

Daniel