Re: [xml] Re: The DSO dilemna

Daniel Veillard wrote:

  We can make this a configuration flag or option, --with-sys-ldtl ...
which if activated will try to do what you suggest and if not found or
not activated will fallback to a locally modified copy. This is very
similar to the current approach taken for the trio library. Except I will
be very tempted to use the local copy even on Linux. The point being that
if for some reason we don't embed the latest version users still have the
option to use their version they know work for them in their specific
environment.

libtool 2.0 is going to support including ltdl.{c,h} with your package, but only building/installing it if there is not already a compatible version present on the system. I believe it also supports side-by-side installation of multiple versions, but I don't remember for sure.