=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A=20=27Re=3A=20=5Bxml=5D=20=22Next=20XML=20schema=20implementation=20steps=20=28poll=29=22=27?=

Hi,

on 8/16/2004 11:32 PM Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:52:41PM +0200, Torkel Lyng wrote:

What features are the XML-Schema part missing really?

Hmm, this sounds like we need a detailed description of the state of the
implementation.
The question was related to missing points that were encountered by
users and probably not communicated. Although I think that XML Schemata
are not the ultimative way to go if the need for validation arises, one
might tend to look for alternatives if a wanted feature - possibly easy
to add - is not found, *without* ever notifying someone. See, I never
sended a bug report to ms, and I don't know a single person who does.
Especially the area of XML schemata seems to waft in an uncomfortable
state, since the existing engines still differ in interpretation of the
spec, thus creating a kind of distrust, related to the whole XML schema
idea. You don't like to support something you don't like. I'm aware of
some of the disadvantages of the spec, but we really need you to forget
those accustomed prejudices (at least for the duration of the
implementation ;-)).

  Kasimier is the best person to answer, but I knw we are missing
at least:
  - content checking in derivations (I would have to implement
    comparison at the regexps level first)
  - identity constraints not based on ID/IDREF
 there is probably other parts though (do we have wilcards ?)

Yes, derivation of wildcards and validation with those is implemented
('any' & 'anyAttribute').

  To me one of the important things somewhat missing is more
systematic regression testing for the code in CVS, I know Kasimier
have been using at least subset of the W3C testsuite [1] but
this is not integrated in CVS right now (though the full set of
the W3C Schemas types are tested though Relax-NG James Clark
testsuite).

I agree that creating a safety buffer by integrating the W3C tests is
more important than rushing for new features. On the other hand, and
this would probably delight Robert Sanderson, this depends on the
existence of the Python bindings. I'm would like to learn Python to
create the tests if someone is willing to implement the bindings.

Greetings,

Kasimier