Re: [xml] Creating a markup language

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:29:22PM +0100, Robert Sanderson wrote:
yOn Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Bob Rossi wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:20:04PM +0400, Nikolay Melekhin wrote:
Bob Rossi wrote:
I am creating a protocol between two GPL'd applications. Basically,

You can try use XML-RPC protocol

Thanks, unfortunately, the 2 process's described are really low level.
Apparently, the only way they can communicate is through a pipe. So, I am
stuck to that environment.

With either XML-RPC or SOAP you don't need to transport them via HTTP.
They're just XML describing objects.  The advantage to using one of these
is that you can get toolkits to do all the hard work for you.

Sorry if I am overly ignorant, this is my first XML project. So far, I
have only read "Learning XML", which is how I got here :)

Are you basically saying that XML-RPC is a Markup Language basically
designed to handle commands sending/receiving?

I would have to construct documents of type XML-RPC, which I could do
manually, or I could use GSOAP or ZSI to help me automate the task? Similar
to how I would use libxml to help me create a tree, and then write it
to disk, thus creating an XML file?

Or another question that could help me better understand what XML-RPC
is. Is XML-RPC a Markup Language, just like MathML?

The only problem is, one of the programs I want to link this code into
is a very portable application that runs everywhere, and can't have a
lot of dependencies to build. Meaning, I probably can only have
libxml linked into it, since apparently it is very portable.  Does this
mean I am up the creek when it comes to XML-RPC?, or can I manually
create documents that meet this specification?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi