[xml] ignorable whitespace

Please, somebody tell me that there is a way
to instruct xmlParseDocument to discard all "ignorable whitespace"
that may be present when it parses a document.

I'm using version 2.6.8, and not using SAX.

I tried doing like this

  ctxt = xmlCreateDocParserCtxt(xml_string);
  int ival=0;
  xmlSetFeature(ctxt, "keep blanks", &ival);

but this made no difference to the resulting document tree.

It is *crucial* to me to be able to eliminate that noise
in order to manipulate the document tree structure in a sensible
and reliable way.

Thanks a bunch

roger