From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 June 2003 6:05 PM
To: Eric Zurcher csiro au
Cc: xml gnome org; igor zlatkovic com
Subject: Re: SV: [xml] windows binary with different calling

  Any function with its signature in the .h headers are public functions
part of the API, all of them, no distinctions. There is no need to fiddle
and argue this one is or is not public, if it's listed in the .h it's
public, period !

  I *still* do not understand the finality of flagging the functions that
way. Can someone explain in plain english why making the export list as
a .def file is a problem ! For me the huge difference is that the .def
file is now generated AUTOMATICALLY ! So you need to argue clearly about
why we need to break the existing, working, automated system to fall back
to a manual mechanism, intrusive in the code, and non standard to the C
language. I won't make this without a well argumented explanation and
proof
that the current system is not adequate.

  YOU, yes you ! Why would you "be happy" about it ? You say "This might
seem like" a positive change for Windows, why being so shy ? Why dou *YOU*
need it, dammit ?  Why do you "suspect" other platforms need a
non-standard
extension ? I never got such feedback (or I can't remember), so give
*real* arguments, coming from first hand source.

Daniel

Eric Zurcher
CSIRO Livestock Industries
Canberra, Australia