[xml] Blank nodes problem

I am working on a DOM application in which I would like to suppress the generation of blank nodes to make the tree easier to work with.  To do this, I call xmlKeepBlanksDefault(0) which seems to work pretty well.  However, I have recently run across a situation in which I have found that if a line in an XML file does not end with a newline character immediately after the closing '>' character, a blank node is inserted into the DOM tree.  In other words, some extra whitespace is present before the newline.

For example (using \n to represent newline), this is OK (no blank nodes):

<a>\n
   <b>

this causes a blank node:

<a>  \n
   <b>

Is this the way it is supposed to work (i.e. is this considered 'significant' whitespace) or is this a bug?

Regards,

Ed Day