Re: [xml] Release of libxml2-2.4.21

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:38:16PM -0700, Aleksey Sanin wrote:

But I think we can start relaxing the constraints w.r.t. adding API

Well, in this case I have a request :) First let me explain the reason
why I need this.
The problem I have in XML Security Library is that I need to read not
only XML files
but binary files as well (for example, when I need to sign or encrypt a
plain vanilla
binary data). The XML data input callbacks used by LibXML could not be
used for
reading binary data because one can decide to do some special processing
(like
automatic gzip) for XML files. And this processing should not be done
for binary files.
The solution is to have custom handlers for processing binary files as
it is done for XML files.
The only problem I have is that I am lazy and I do not want to duplicate
10+ static functions
defined in xmlIO.c :) And this is bad from code-reuse point of view.
So my request is: can we remove word "static" from the following
functions in xmlIO.c and
copy the declarations to xmlIO.h?

    xmlFileMatch
    xmlFileOpen
    xmlFileRead
    xmlFileClose

    xmlIOHTTPMatch
    xmlIOHTTPOpen
    xmlIOHTTPRead
    xmlIOHTTPClose

    xmlIOFTPMatch
    xmlIOFTPOpen
    xmlIOFTPRead
    xmlIOFTPClose

    /* I do not need this but for completeness probably these functions
     should be "public" too */
    xmlGzfileMatch
    xmlGzfileOpen
    xmlGzfileRead
    xmlGzfileClose

The patch is simple and I'll prepare it as soon as soon as everybody
agree that it could be done.

  Fine by me. I updated the files AUTHORS and HACKING to give you right
to commit directly on the gnome-xml module, it is now clear that you have
acquired a good knowledge of the library internals.
  Check with Igor and the Windows makefiles since exproting those can
have side effects.
  Go ahead. I would also appreciate is you can help share a bit of the
bug handling load if you have time too,

Daniel