[xml] xmlKeepBlanksDefault doesn't seem to work

hi everybody,
  either i don't understand what's supposed to happen, or something's
wrong with my setup, but i just upgraded from libxml1 to libxml2
(details below), and i can't get it to behave the way it did in the
"good old days". :)

given the xml file "schema_ADM.xml":
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<category name="ADM" elem_def_name="Object" elem_name="instance"
db_format="OOA">
<data_type_list>
        <data_type name="integer"><scalar_type
default_value="0"><unbound_type
editor_type="int32"></unbound_type></scalar_type></data_type>
</data_type_list>
</category>

i ran xmllint --debug schema_ADM.xml and got:

DOCUMENT
version=1.0
URL=schema_ADM.xml
standalone=true
  ELEMENT category
    ATTRIBUTE name
      TEXT
        content=ADM
    ATTRIBUTE elem_def_name
      TEXT
        content=Object
    ATTRIBUTE elem_name
      TEXT
        content=instance
    ATTRIBUTE db_format
      TEXT
        content=OOA
    TEXT
      content=
    ELEMENT data_type_list
      TEXT
        content=
      ELEMENT data_type
        ATTRIBUTE name
          TEXT
            content=integer
        ELEMENT scalar_type
          ATTRIBUTE default_value
            TEXT
              content=0
          ELEMENT unbound_type
            ATTRIBUTE editor_type
              TEXT
                content=int32
      TEXT
        content=
    TEXT
      content=

i then ran xmllint --debug --noblanks and got the exact same thing.  my
understanding was that all those TEXT nodes wouldn't be created in the
noblanks case.  i tried setting xmlKeepBlanksDefault(0) in my own code
(and then i set it to 1, just to try both cases), and it behaves the
same way as xmllint.  could someone either show me the error of my ways
(if i'm wrong about what should happen) or suggest a way to fix whats
wrong (if i'm not)?

my system is configured like so:
bash-2.03$ uname -a
SunOS sunbc558 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
bash-2.03$ xml-config --version
1.8.10
bash-2.03$ xml2-config --version
2.3.8